Labels

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Assessing and Teaching

As the school year winds to a close, I find myself struggling with the balance of assessment to determine whole year progress and continued teaching to assure that every day matters.  I guess I find myself in the conundrum every single year and it certainly makes me THINK about the strange, agrarian model of education that has persisted into the 21st century.  Our kids are not off the farm work in the summer and that is not likely to change in the  near future!  PLEASE NOTE that I love a good summer week at the beach as much as the next person and I also think that ALL learners (kids and teachers) need to get away and let the learning settle in while they relax with a good read or two (see last post)! HOWEVER, it is time that we rethink our teaching and assessment model on a bigger scale so that we do not lose June and September as teaching months!

No comments: