Labels

Monday, May 14, 2018

#sol2018 Old Vocabulary?

"What does it mean," I ask as we add what might be an unfamiliar word to our "fat stack of tap-able words!"
"I know, I know," a student responds as he leaps from his chair!
"It means a hashtag for when you want people to know what you are writing about!" the six-year-old responds confidently!  I nodded as if that was what I was thinking, even though I was thinking of that hateful midweek dinner (from my childhood), corned beef hash!
Image result for corned beef hash
Not too many hours later....

"What does it mean," I ask the second grader tapping out two syllable phonetically regular words.
"I know," the reader responds confidently. "It's a red velvet delicious cake! I nodded as if that was what I was thinking even though I was ready to offer velvet as a fancy material for special occasion dresses!

Yes, our language is a changing and/or my vocabulary is getting old! 

1 comment:

Molly Hogan said...

Isn't it fun to be offered some fresh perspectives on meaning!? I love that you're working hard to build vocabulary!