Labels

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

#sol18 A September Day

I thought about the date as I nestled into my spot (leaning against a door) on the already crowded train. 
I thought about the whispered announcement so many years ago about planes and the World Trade Center as I listened to the announcement about shortened and crowded trains.
I thought about the lives changed in classrooms just feet from me as I watched a seasoned passenger whip out her knitting and knit on the steps of the train.
I thought of my colleague teaching in an adjacent classroom who lost the love of her life and wondered how many loves were lost that day.
I thought about the shock and sadness that descended on the city (and the nation) as I wondered how many of these people were on trains on that morning.
I thought about riding the bus home with students that day to make sure everyone had someone at home and wondered how many fellow riders lost someone that day.

I remembered that some lost all and some lost greatly; however, we all lost something that day.
I smiled as I watched the standing-knitter and all those who have persevered in spite of adversity as I geared for a September Day in a resilient city


3 comments:

Tara said...

A beautiful post, Anita. I loved the way you ended with that note of a city's resiliency.

Maureen said...

It is still so unbelievable. Thank you for this beautiful, heartfelt post.

Miss B said...

This was so beautiful to read. I loved the word resilient because as a nation-but especially NY-that's exactly what we were.