Labels

Sunday, March 5, 2023

#sol23 March 5 Sweet Sunshine

As you walk into the market where I go to get great fruits and vegetables, the first thing you see are the flowers. Lovely arrangements, beautiful bouquets, and small small stems. I always smiled as I walked past: but, I never bought them. 

It was a cold, damp, gray day when I stopped in front of a bunch of sunny yellow carnations. It was a should-have-been-special-anniversary kind of day and I was intent on "celebrating" with vegetable soup until those carnations captured me with the potential of happiness.  

The old Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand lament was playing in my head, "You don't bring me flowers, you don't sing me love songs," as I picked up a bunch and set it gingerly in the basket.

"Why buy yourself flowers," the rational, cheap part of my brain challenged me. "Why not?" I smiled as I changed directions and picked up asparagus and a couple of scallops. "Make your own happiness," I reminded myself as I added a piece of gourmet cheese and a package of fancy crackers,  I was smiling a little too much as I headed to the checkout. 

I must confess that in the weeks since that day when I was first a wee bit "naughty" at the grocery, those smiling carnations have found their way into my cart again and again. The song has changed, however, to something like, "These will make me happy, these are my sweet sunshine."


3 comments:

Trina Bartel said...

YES! Buy yourself those flowers (which are beautiful, by the way). Bravo - we need to create our own beauty!

Ramona said...

Sweet sunshine,indeed! Glad you shared a picture. They make me smile too.!

https://wordpress.com/home/mukhamani.wordpress.com said...

Such beautiful flowers and it is nice to buy for ourselves :)