Labels

Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Critical Look at Fro Yo Pie

As I look towards the "healthiest eating" possible, I often search the internet for recipes.  In looking for summer birthday cake substitutes, I came across the gluten-free yogurt-cake that I must admit looks pretty good......except...my CCSS mind-framework has me looking very critically at even recipes!  While it does not use ice cream and does not use wheat flour, it sure is not all that "healthy" in many other respects!   I might try it anyway, but I would need to come up with a substitute for so much sugar and find a way to reduce the cream.....perhaps just making it an ice cream pie or buying frozen yogurt and adding blueberry puree might be easier and healthier?

Frozen Blueberry Yogurt Pie:

The crust:  1 1/2 cups almond flour; 1/4 cup light brown sugar; 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
The filling: 2 1/2 cups blueberries, 1 cup sugar / honey, 2 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, 1 (16-oz) container organic plain yogurt, 1 cup cream
Coat a 9-inch pan with nonstick spray or butter.
Make crust. Press into pan and place pan in freezer.
Put blueberries and sugar in food processor, puree
Beat cream cheese in another bowl, mix in vanilla and yogurt.
Add confectioners’ sugar, blueberry puree, cream and mix.
Pour into the pan, cover with plastic and freeze, at least 3 hours
 

No comments: