Labels

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

One way I'm like Melinda & Michelle: OLW


I am like Melinda Gates in one way! I have stopped establishing resolutions that are more than likely to fail and more than likely to leave me disappointed in myself! 

About 6 years ago, thanks to inspiration from fellow bloggers at Two Writing Teachers, I stopped resolving to lose weight, to exercise more, to eat right,or to become organized because those are lifelong areas of self improvement for me! Instead, I began to choose One Little Word to focus my reflection in the new year. It's been a powerful tool (for me) and my past OLWs have become part of the fabric of my life.

I was reflecting on my OLW for 2019 as I stuffed calamari with a new, untried recipe that featured spinach   I wondered if I should have stayed with the traditional recipe....and if my children would notice. I wondered if they might complain about my attempt to nourish them by infusing veggies from nature?                                                                                                                                                  I found my mind wandering toward my OWL as I walked the rain soaked trail on the first morning of the new year. I thought about the profound changes in the past year: leaving a job that defined me and students I cared for as if they were my own. While I miss my struggling readers, the changes have nourished my soul in ways I could not have imagined. I've found energy to sew, read and work on a long abandoned book.  

My internet friend Michelle's post about her OLW caused me to pause and check with a dictionary, but ultimately she confirmed the OLW that was already swirling within me. 

This year, I do hope to NOURISH  and nurture my precious grandchildren as they are growing oh so fast!  I also need to NOURISH my own body and mind with a healthy lifestyle and new experiences. While I cannot turn back the hands of time, I can NOURISH myself and be the best me.  

I'm mindful of the potential power of OLW as I reflect on my past OLWs. When I chose JOY (2014) we  had a joyful year that culminated in a never-to-happen-again-huge-family-celebration. When I chose WHY NOT? (2015) the heavens sent two tiny miracles three days apart! Then, in 2016, as my world crumbled around me, I  chose PERSISTENCE and clung to that word as I moved into a new life. Then, in 2017 I chose HOPE and 2 more miracles were born. Last year, realizing more big changes were ahead, I chose PRESENT in order to focus on the moment rather than on the cliffs ahead. 

So, choosing a OLW is not an "easy" way out of resolutions!  In fact, I think it challenges me to be mindful of my eating, exercising, reading, writing, family, friends, and even my spiritual life. Phew!





No comments: