Labels

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

#sol19 Thanks for the Rain

I'd slept fitfully for several nights as the heat and humidity built up both outside and inside my home. The over-sized, Casablanca-style, fan usually did the trick; not this week. The first warnings of thunderstorms and flash floods had been 24 hours ago! I was tired, grumpy and waiting for a break in the weather when finally, the sky took on that familiar dark blue hue.

I hunkered down through the first, second, third and fourth rounds of the storm as water poured from the sky and the temperature slowly began to drop. I ventured out through the flooded streets to rescue a commuter; however, this was not to be a night for errands!

Several hours after it all started, the power and internet went out while the gentle rain continued as if on a mission to refresh the parched earth.

I opened the front door slowly to survey the damage and felt the peace, that follows a big storm, envelope the neighborhood. The change in the air was profound and so I sat for a while, on the porch, thankful for the rain even though it had caused delays, flooding, and accidents.

I thought of the power of water to harm and to help. I guess it's like so many things in life: coffee, chocolate, wine, fast cars. They help us in reasonable amounts; however, too much, is harmful.  Then, even though it was still fairly early, I went up the dark stairs, brushed my teeth in the dark, and climbed into the dark bed, thankful for the rain.

3 comments:

Fran Haley said...

It's been oppressively hot here in my neck of the woods also - I am sure the air quality was compromised, as it was, in fact hard to even breathe ... it rained today is, raining now, and the temperature is blissfully cooler. I am right therewith you in giving thanks for this rain.

Morna Gersho said...

I don't know why but I love the smell of rain on warm or hot pavement. I also like to be caught indoors, warm and safe and I can hear the rain on the roof. Of course, I don't like to be stuck in it. Thats different.

Ramona said...

What a lovely capture of your rain and so descriptive. I especially enjoyed your conclusion: "Then, even though it was still fairly early, I went up the dark stairs, brushed my teeth in the dark, and climbed into the dark bed, thankful for the rain."
Hopefully, your power was back on by morning.