Labels

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

#sol19 Birthdays

Remember
Being a young thing and thinking your special day would never get here? 
Wanting a special cake, a new toy, an outrageously expensive outfit?
Being asked what you wanted for your birthday and not knowing what to want?
Being on the edge of that driver's permit and waiting not so patiently to go to the DMV?
Waiting not so patiently for the day when you could legally consume an adult beverage?
Thinking "that" birthday meant you were getting old?
Gratitude for a birthday shared with friends and loved ones?

I remember
There was a time when there were birthdays almost every day in August (for my family)! 
Celebrations in kitchens, on campgrounds, at the ocean, with cousins, at the ocean.
Discount cards for Michael's, Joanne's, Talbots .......
Happy ones and not so happy ones. \Busy ones and quiet ones.

Today
It is one of my cousin's special days.
I wish her a happy day and the start of a good year;
I want to remember that every day,
Not just a birthday,
Is a special day.

1 comment:

arjeha said...

Love how you end this. It is important to wish we love a good day every day not just on their birthday. I also wrote about birthdays today since my wife and I just celebrated ours last week.