Labels

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

#sol23 What Goes Around Comes Back Around

 

πŸŽ“It's that time of year when my "students" are not going to be students much longer, they are going to be the teachers!

πŸŽ“I know I can't "teach" them everything they will need to know, but like all teachers, I want my "students" to be prepared to be life long learners who look eagerly but critically at new ideas and theories they will clearly face in the years ahead. 

πŸŽ“I find myself trying to hook them onto all the professional growth options, resources, and links they will need to stay on top of our profession.  

πŸŽ“I encourage them to ask questions and to discuss controversial issues.  

πŸŽ“So, when my students asked me about the Science of Reading, I did a quick review which grew into a historical perspective on learning to read. They listened with rapt attention.  They asked questions.  It was all new to them, even though it was the story of my life.  

πŸŽ“"We sure hit a hot topic," one student said as she left.

πŸŽ“"I can't believe there is such a controversy," said another, "because it all makes sense to me."

πŸŽ“"Can you teach us about phonics next week?" several asked as they left.

πŸŽ“"What goes around comes back around," I thought as I drove home wondering if one of my students might someday be the teacher-turned-professor having this same conversation about the long standing reading debates with a new generation of teachers!  

4 comments:

Betsy Hubbard said...

What an exciting time. Glad you were able to capture a moment with your blooming teachers.

Sally said...

WOW! So much shared. You captured their eagerness to know and your strong knowledge. Fingers crossed these students stick with teaching as it is such a hard profession. Sounds like you are training them well.

Fran said...

So much information in your post. What to access? Where? How to continuously seek out professional development? And the hot button ... SoR!

Denise Krebs said...

Anita, so glad you can be there for them, encouraging those questions and discussions. Yes, what goes around will come back around. I like the way you put that. Congratulations to your students-turning-teachers!