Labels

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

#sol23 May 9 Orange Stripes Spur Disjointed Feelings

 
A few doors away,
A group of men and women
Flanked by uniformed supervisors,
Are building a ramp that will allow
 A wheelchair to enter the front door.

I am not sure
If I am appalled
By the orange shirts and orange striped pants
That scream, "I am a criminal, watch me work," or
If I am angry 
About the sheriff's vehicle
With lights flashing for 10 hours a day, or
If I am happy
By the work program that might provide skills
That might promote futures outside, or 
If I am grateful 
For the support
 Of people in our community,
Including my neighbor

3 comments:

arjeha said...

A whole string of valid emotions. We all would like to think positive thoughts, but feeling brought about by some of the things we see are ingrained in us and it is hard to move beyond those feelings.

Becky Leff said...

So well expressed and true for many of us.

Fran said...

Wow, what an interesting poem! Genuine mixed emotions. A good example of how they can all be true, and reside beside each other. Like you, I do hope that skills are being taught.