Labels

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Happiness

I read bits of the NY Times every day!  I'm partial to the Education section (not too surprising after decades in education). A recent article about Yale University's, Psychology of the Good Life, captured my attention. One fourth of the student body has enrolled in this class! ONE PROFESSOR has 1200 students. So many smart, young people WANT to know how they can be happy?

Fortunately, there have been many, many happy moments in my life, such as: 

  • When a snuggly infant melts into your body as they drift into sleep.
  • When the sun rises over the horizon as the beach laps at my toes.
  • When the sun sets over the hills after hanging onto a summer evening
  • When a struggling reader pulls together the strategies and takes off.
  • When family gathers to banter, eat and make memories
Some happy moments become happy memories.
  • When a new life enters our world.
  • When a loved one, scores, achieves, creates, celebrates. 
  • When family members,no longer with us, gathered to celebrate.
  • When R.L (a former administrator) played Happy into school speakers creating a community that crooned, "Cause I'm happy!"     

I've been thinking about my own happiness and wondering what I would teach?  I'm pretty sure happiness is about moments rather than years.  I'm pretty sure happiness is about people rather than things.  I'm pretty sure happiness is a sensory experience that triggers a mind-body reaction! 

What do you think?


No comments: