Labels

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Can't take it with you.

I used to read, write, and sew in my spare time.  In fact, when my grandchildren were on the horizon, I dreamed of creating clothes worthy of  Jacadi or Dolce and Gabbana  but instead, my spare moments and my table have been consumed by estates!

I've sold stocks, consolidated accounts,  created spreadsheets, paid taxes (including taxes that I never heard of before). I've learned enough about the ins and outs to not only write a book but to also do this as a retirement job!

I'm sure there will be surprises uncovered as you handle most estates and I'm confident that those who have left this world would be shocked at the way estates dissipate during processing.

Most importantly, I have learned that as hard as you might try, you can't take it with you! You can accumulate, invest, and save, but the government and legal system sees what you left will wants an appropriate piece of your pie!

So....
Drink that Starbucks in the morning (if that is what turns you on).
Travel to distant places and explore the world (if that is what turns you on)
Go out to eat a little more frequently (if that is what makes you happy).
Buy yourself flowers, just because (if that is what makes you happy).
Buy the shoes or that shirt or that jacket (if that is what makes you happy).
Spend generously on those you love and care about (while you can).
I guess you can take your credit cards and your checkbooks (but you can't use them).
I promise you can't take your savings nor your investments with you!


No comments: