Labels

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Snow Days: Let the memories snowball

Thanks to the TWT Slice of Life Challenge, I'm writing about what I am remembering today.

I remember nothing but excitement at the announcing of a snow day on the radio (Yes, in the olden days, you had to listen every half hour for that day-changing announcement). Perhaps a few I Love Lucy reruns and some time in the snow would lead into couch time with a good book.

I remember the relief when the snow chain call (Yes, in the olden days, we created snow chains and you prayed the teacher ahead of you would not just roll over and fall back to sleep.) would awaken me in my pre-dawn slumber to the quieter than usual day ahead.

I remember relaxing the usual television standards for my children on snowy days and realizing they had found Jerry Springer's guests wrestling their boyfriend's mother's sister's double-timing brother!(Yes, in the olden days, we had to rely on the limited offerings on ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS,)

I remember the texts that arrived after I had already left in the snowy darkness that I received only after getting stuck in traffic! (Yes, sometimes the decisions are hard to make).

I remember lots of long snow-day afternoons filled with shoveling, a few very scary-snow-day commutes, and one snow day when I went for a walk in the foot-high-snow because the feuding children inside were driving me out of my mind. (Yes, sometimes my children tried to make me crazy)

I also remember mugs of hot tea, hours of catching up on reading, writing, closet cleaning and naps.

Yet, I realize that my own memories are more positive than negative and on snowy-icy-nasty days like today, I am remembering those teachers, such as my colleagues in NYC, who rarely get snowy icy days off.  I am remembering those who work in stores, hospitals, hotels and restaurants, who do not get snowy days off. (Yes, there are many who will have a slip-sliding commute hom.)

Drive/walk carefully, if you must.  I'm remembering snowy days are more stressful than those recent snow day musical announcements would suggest! 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/life/2018/03/06/missouri-valley-brent-hoesing-viral-parody-videos-school-announcements-winter-classes-canceled/398328002/

https://www.pennlive.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/01/6ba26692804091/some-school-officials-resorting-to-singing-snow-day-announcements.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pLfSCD104A




2 comments:

Chris & Dave said...

Your memories had me saying oh yeah! Me too! I especially connected with the radio announcement announcing our school. Living in a town beginning with U made the wait oh so long!
Thanks for some fodder for future slices!

Sonia said...

I love reading your memories, and the way you used bold parentheses to comment on them. They also conjure up my own memories and having to listen on the radio to find out whether I would have a snow day. I lived close to Long Island Sound, so it was warmer than further inland. Thus I was often disappointed when schools were closed in Bethel or Ansonia, but not in West Haven.