Labels

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

SOL22 Number or Word People


I get that today 2-22-22 is a big day for "numbers people."
This post, however, is about me and I am a "word person."

10 years ago,
 I would log on, still wrapped in my robe, and play Scrabble with a few friends as I sipped my early morning coffee. If I am totally honest, my Scrabble obsession usually preceded my email check. It was such an amazing way to be a part of special people I did not see regularly, but who shared my obsession with words. It was an amazing way to start each day.

Then, came a relationship with Sudoku, first in the daily newspaper and then through an App. It has numbers in it, but it really is a puzzle. Playing it somehow made me feel closer to my brother who, back in the day, was a master at Sudoku strategies,  Still, it's a solitary obsession even though it is mind stimulating! I still "do" Sudoku but it is just me "beating" a random puzzle. 

I spent too much time with Wordscapes during the early days of lockdown.  Like Sudoku, it was a lonely obsession and I was actually pleased when I realized the puzzles had begun to repeat themselves causing me to stop.  

And then on social media, people started to post about Wordle.  "A puzzle for me, a certified Orton Gillingham teacher who know phonics and word structure," I thought to myself.  I began a daily Wordle in the fall and smile whenever I beat one of my word-smart-nemesis-friends, such as Erin, who seems to have a way with words!  Today, I used 3 attempts to guess the word and feel pretty good about myself!  I half expect Erin will get it in 2 attempts.....sigh.


  

5 comments:

Dogtrax said...

I am struck but this observation as a puzzler: "... it was a lonely obsession ..." as that's how I felt when I was doing some Wordle in the mornings (before NYT took it over). I appreciate posts about word play, though!
Kevion

Stacey Shubitz said...

I can imagine that as an OG educator you felt like this was made for you!

Isabelle and I have been doing them together each weekday morning. She adores it. It's the most authentic phonics and spelling work I could have ever found.

Ramona said...

Another word person here, Words with Friends and now Wordle. I like that I can choose to do it or not. And every day there's a new challenge.
Thinking that I may have to post about this auspicious number day!

Fran said...

Another wordie here as well. I have no problem using numbers but playing with numbers will never meet or exceed my love of word play. Thanks for thinking about the evolution of your "games'!

Unknown said...

Sudoku, scrabble, wordle - you keep your brain sharp with an element of fun.