Labels

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

If you have reluctant writers or children who have been robbed of comprehension

If you have reluctant writers or children who have been robbed of comprehension, you need to check out what my grad students have been writing. 

As I read this wonderful post (Jessica R )summarizing strategies to get reluctant writers going, I felt confident about the future of learning.
http://mrsrowesbulletinboard.blogspot.com/2012/06/options-for-struggling-writers.html
Hi Everyone,
Then I read this word  Word Wall Chant (Jessica D) and was filled with pride!
Find the word,
It is near.
Where's the word?
It's right here!
Say the word.
Clap the parts.
Tap the sounds.
What a start!
Time to spell,
Close each eye.
Do it now--
Don't be shy!
One more time!
Say the word,
Loud and clear!
Now let's cheer!
Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip hooray

Then, I read this summary of the THIEVES (Amanda S) comprehension strategy.
T   à Book title: Diagnostic Literacy Assessments and Instructional Strategies
               Section Title: Reading and Listening Comprehension Strategies
What I think I will be reading about: Ways in which I can check for comprehension before, during and after reading.
H  à Heading: Predicting Strategies; which tells me the strategies listed after this
heading focus on predicting and providing background knowledge
I     à  Introduction: The introduction tells me that I will be learning about
comprehension strategies that are engaging. This paragraph outlines the way
in which the strategies are organized and grouped. The introduction also explains the goals of these comprehension strategies. The main goal of teaching these strategies is for students to use them independently to monitor comprehension.
E  à Every first sentence in a paragraph: After the name/title of the strategy is
listed, the first sentences describe the purpose of the strategy. This makes it
easy to navigate throughout the chapter when looking for a specific type of strategy.
V  à Visuals and vocabulary: Throughout this section of the book, vocabulary
words are defined. For example, under the strategy entitled “Nonfiction Layout and Text Features” the words preface, appendix, glossary, index, etc. are defined. Also, any time a strategy uses a chart/visual there is an example in the book of what the visual should look like. This is helpful because I know exactly how this strategy is supposed to look so that I can model it for my students.
E   à End of chapter questions: While this doesn’t necessarily apply to our reading
since we did not read the whole chapter, I thought of questions I had while reading. I liked the layout of the book, but I wondered why the steps in the procedure were not numbered. This would have been easier to follow in my opinion. I also wondered why some of the strategies had sources listed while others didn’t. I would like to know where to look to get more information about specific strategies.
S   à Summary: I really enjoyed using THIEVES! It helped me locate important
information and focus on important features in expository texts. The acronyms describe the areas where my attention should be when reading! I learned new information as well! This is truly a great strategy… I guess my teachers made me use it for a reason! J

No comments: