Labels

Monday, June 18, 2012

Riding, Rewards and Reflecting


When I was young, I rode my bike around our cul-de-sac.  There were usually some "rewards" such as the chance to "beat" one of the neighbors, a handful of Charlie Chips from the delivery man, or an ice pop from a mom grateful we did not come in all afternoon. (not a real photo of my neighborhood!)

I was reflecting on the rewards of bike riding the other day as I upped the gears and made my way down a former rail trail.  These days, there are some pretty wonderful rewards on the trail. There was music in the park and Harney's Tea Store.   We sampled some amazing teas while we were there (Assam and Supreme Breakfast are among my new favorites) and listened to the "tea-brewing-master" (tea barista?)discuss the fine points of some teas that cost more per pound than my first car (we didn't invest in them).  We left after more than an hour of tea sampling with a bag full of teas strapped to my bike!

not a real photo of the geezer!
It has been a long time since we rode and we have overcome obstacles to return to the trails.  The fact that we were riding really was a reward all by itself. But, alas I could also look forward to a cup of very special tea after dinner. And then, near then end of the trail, some old geezer sitting on his porch hollered out, "Hi honey" and there was nobody but me around at that moment (my husband was far ahead of me)!  Admittedly, he sounded as if he had no teeth and who knows if he could even see me; however, I'll take it as a one more reward for the effort! 


8 comments:

Terje said...

I wouldn't have imagined putting bike riding and tea together. Your slice shows how two great things can make a wonderful day. I guess one has to choose the right route for a bike ride.

Joanne said...

I love the bike ride - history and current. thanks - a good cup of tea is always fun!

Beverley Baird said...

We all need compliments - and tea for that matter!
Lovely post!

elsie said...

A "hi, honey" always brings a smile. Sounds like a lovely riding trail. My trail doesn't have any perks along the way, so sad for me. Happy riding!

Amy Rudd said...

That's cute that the elderly gentleman said "hi Honey"... Sometimes they just have the sweetest way of saying things!

Linda B said...

I've been riding, but no tea or Starbucks on the trail for me either. Have to make do with my water bottle. Nice story, with a little sweetness at the end. Thanks Anita!

maria.selke said...

Love it! And I love how you put the images into your story (but were sure to tell us they weren't the "real" pictures!)

Anonymous said...

My husband has been wanting me to start riding again. This is great inspiration. I'd like to find a good trail like this. Thanks for such good ideas!