Labels

Thursday, June 28, 2012

You know that feeling: Happy, sad, & reflective rolled into one?

I suspect that IF you are 1) a teacher or have been 2) a student, THEN you know exactly the feeling I am about to try to describe. 

It's the last day of summer school (Summer I) for my graduate students.  Most of them have been working during the day and taking my class in Beginning Reading and Writing in the late afternoon / evening for the past 6 weeks.  It is an intense course during an equally intense time of the year when we are all trying to juggle readings, case studies, powerpoints, projects, report cards, end of the year school events, cleaning out classrooms, and packing up.  This class during this busy time of year is always a huge undertaking (which is probably why my husband has grilled so many dinners and made so many pots of tea lately)! 

In spite of the frenetic nature of this season of life, I must admit that I will really miss this class - a lot!  Things have not been perfect from my end (missing readings from Eres) and sometimes I have flown into class looking like a sweaty mess (I was packing up my room in 100* heat) but they consistently been smiling and ready to read, write, listen and talk about the power of literacy in our lives.  They have a lot to say becuase they found time to read, think outside of class times in their own busy lives. 

As I sat reflecting on their personal choice projects and on their case studies, I am sure that students in many classrooms for many years will be blessed by the teachers who have come into my lives during this busy but wonderful season.  It's like the last day of school - happy (sigh of relief) but sad at the same time (I really will miss them.)  As one of my 1st graders said last week, "I gonna miss 'dis reading club a lot of lots!"

No comments: