Labels

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

#sol21 March 10 To Walk or Not To Walk

 I sighed as I watched the orange orb peeking over the horizon.  In spite of the many excuses I had already tried, I tied my sneakers and donned my gloves for a cold, early morning walk.  I found a TED talk  I had not yet heard, and tried to find peace with the sidewalk.  The first 1000 steps are always the hardest; then, when I'm a few blocks away, I usually find some sort of rhythm. If nothing else, after I am a few blocs away, I have to keep walking!

  • I tried to convince myself that lying in my cozy bed was what my body needed.
  • I had tried to convince myself I'd walk later in the day.  
  • I tried to convince myself that I'd eat only small portions of no carb foods today. 
  • I tried to convince myself I could read and comment on a few more blog posts.
  • I tried to convince myself I would walk tomorrow. 
  • I tried to convince myself I should unload the dishwasher, read emails, check on the bills.....
  • I tried to justify an extra long shower and an extra cup of coffee
In the end, I knew that I had better get out for a walk today as the excuses were predictable and while plausible, not convincing. I know that the only solution for my Covid pounds is fewer calories consumed and more muscle mass resulting in more calories burned.  I know I feel better if I get outside and walk...and so I did, reluctantly, walk today, and yes I feel energized and ready for the day.

Amazingly, I will have the same conversation with myself tomorrow and use the same excuses to not walk. I wish I could. but I cannot promise the same outcome as today. 

2 comments:

Christie Wyman said...

Some days it's just not happening. I know the feeling, Anita. And those Covid pounds? Yup. I've got them too. Keep walking! :-)

Fran Haley said...

Yea for you, getting out there and walking anyway! I so understand this feeling...although I know tomorrow may bring different results, the important thing is whatever you decide you need is ok. Sometimes rest is more important. Sometimes pushing forward is. I think spring will help - really and truly.