Labels

Monday, March 8, 2021

#SOL21 March 8 Many Books


 I read Lisa's post about her roots in a book infused home and it really struck a chord because I did not!

I spent  my early years in a an Anderson trailer home something like this (without all those modern upgrades!).  As in many homes today, there was an "open floor plan" and you could see from one end of the home to the other. As in so many modern homes, the kitchen was the heart of the home, but there was no island, an what we called a "table" would come out to take over the living room when we were ready to eat.  


Everything that came into our tiny abode was carefully planned and there were no extra clothes, shoes, or socks.  Yet, early on, my parents must have realized I loved those books gifted to me by Aunties. I would beg to have books read to me and then pretend to read by retelling the memorized stories.  

During our weekly grocery store trip, I sometimes got a new Golden Book to add to my collection on the wheel well ledge. Golden Books , still available today, are small and very thin; thus, you could get quite a collection on a 12 inch ledge!

I could (and probably should) write a whole post about the magic of having a small, carefully curated book collection where I knew every word of every book; however, this post is about how I evolved as a reader after I discovered the school and then the local library.  I was sure books could take me places I would not be able to go. 

These days, in spite of drastically reducing my book collection through moving and sharing, it is still "over the top" with timeless classics,  magical newer books, and many, many books about learning to be writers and readers in the 20th and 21st Centuries!

Unlike Lisa, I grew up to love books in spite of my early years!


                                                    A curated collection for read across America 









No comments: