Labels

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Persevering

Christopher Reeves said heroes are ordinary people who finds the extraordinary strength to persevere in spite of obstacles.  I was reminded of that definition several times yesterday.

I listened to a student talk about his family's troubles and I was thinking about how brave this child was. I replied to grad students' request for extension due to family struggles and I thought about how she would soon pass this gift on to her own students.  I watched a few minutes of a compelling documentary on schools and I thought about how proud I was of those teachers who gave it all to their students.  I thought about someone dear to me who had endured unspeakable assaults to the life she had created and I saw a path out of her darkness.  I watched a caregiver assure her elderly charge that it would be OK and I saw a hero who perseveres in spite of isolation. 

While there may be someone somewhere whose bucket list of a life has unfolded exactly as he/she planned, most of us have persevered in spite of many small and large obstacles.  Today, on this day of atonement and reflection, it's probably a good time to think about the many "every-day" heroes in our lives.  It's also a good time to think about how WE can help others to be the best they can be. 

As I reflect on the heroes around me, I notice they posses some common traits.  They are positive and kind in spite of obstacles.  Perhaps, as we persevere, we might attempt to be as positive and kind as we can be.  It's on my "bucket-list."

No comments: