Labels

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Just one word?

Gee whiz, Stacey, participating in your weekly SOL has been a wonderful part of this past year and has challenged me to notice the details of life more closely, reflect on all the moments more deeply and write from my heart more effectively.  Yet, choosing just one word for the year full of potential is really, really, really hard! 

I have been thinking about what my word might be for a while.  I thought about it months ago when I heard someone say, "I can't wait for this year to be over."  That was even before smaller stresses like new teacher evaluations and huge life changing event stresses.  It was long before the sadness December's days evoked for teachers, friends, and family.  I thought about my hopes and wishes for the new year last night as I reflected on the "old" year, indeed filled with darkness and sadness; yet, I also remember that there have been many bright wonderful moments filled with joy, wonder and hope.  I thought about my "word" as I sat reflecting on the potential for the new year; I thought about my hopes for wonderful happy memories even though I am assured there will be some sad moments, too. 

What I realized is that whatever word I chose would best be understood if embedded in the context of the moment rather than stand in isolation, just like the written words we share each week.  So, until "a single word" jumps out for me for this new year, I will try to embrace the positive side of life's continuum and try to:
Make healther choices more often,
Be more generous and less selfish
Find the good rather than the not-so-good in those around me
Embrace the moments, rather than wishing
Seek more peace than discord,
Have more hope than despair,
Make more happy memories than sad ones,
Be more joyful, more thankful, and more grateful.  
 
 
 

6 comments:

elsie said...

Maybe your word should be positive. Your continuum of life are goals I would like to incorporate in my life.

Carol said...

Think this should be my mantra also…

Linda B said...

It's a very good way to start, Anita. I believe strongly in the power of words, & you've captured quite a lot of them. Happy New Year to you & your family.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

I'm with Elsie....your openness to all the year ( and words) has to offer is positive. All the best for a great new year!

Ruth Ayres said...

A list of intentions...I always write one of these along with my OLW. I wish you well in finding a word to cling to this year.
Ruth

Stacey Shubitz said...

You're on the path to finding your word, Anita. Maybe a short phrase is the way to go. Perhaps?