Labels

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Choices

Choose joy.
Choose to be happy.
Choose to live every day as if it was your last.
Choose to smile.
You have read these proclamations.
We see them plastered on Pinterest and see them voiced on Facebook.
I certainly want to be the person who sees the best in people and looks for the silver lining in every cloud.
Yet, it is so easy to get caught up in the negatives of work and the hassles of every day living.
It's so easy to just go along with the negative flow of the crowd.
Often, it is hard to look on the sunny side of things.
I've been on the negative side of things lately.
I could blame the cold weather or the cold I've been fighting.
I could blame the financial quagmire of care giving in which I spend countless hours,
I could blame the dust balls that berate me as I await my coffee to brew.
I could blame the aches and pains of aging.
I don't like to be here.
It's hard to write when you can't see the sunshine
It's hard to smile when you don't choose to be happy
All in all I live a blessed, full and wonderful life.
So I'm trying to dig myself out of the black hole of negativity.
I saw the magnificent colors of the leaves just now rather than the sign of impending winter.
I saw the chance to write just now rather than another endless wait at the bank!
I choose to work hard to keep this climb out of the deep hole going. 
I choose to go up.

1 comment:

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

I am with you. They say that happiness is a choice - and the cynic in me thinks that this is a cliche, but my heart says it's not. Better to see the glory in Fall colors than impending doom, right?!