Labels

Saturday, March 17, 2018

#sol18 March 17 Luck o'the Irish










One St. Patrick's Day, my aunt dyed her hair emerald green and served pitchers of green beer!  I was too young to consume, but I remember the adults seemed happy and I am confident they believed the Luck of a party planner with a mission was with them!

Another St. Patrick's Day, I arrived home to find my son and a friend had eaten most of the corned beef from the crock pot!  I'm not a huge fan of salt filled beef, so I let the crock pot purging slide.  Later, I found they ate another corned beef dinner at the friend's home!  I am confident the Luck of teenage metabolism was with them 

Another St. Patrick's Day, I took the train into the city along with a bevy of parade-going-people. There was laughter and singing along with snacking and I suspect, some drinking. I'd fasted that morning in support of my brother who was undergoing another surgery.  He'd been fighting a battle against an unrelenting cancer, but was willing to use chemistry, surgery, prayer, and plain old fashioned luck to buy time. We were all nervous but hoping the Luck o'the Irish would be on his side. 

I've not consumed green beer and do not plan to do so, ever.  I'm skipping the corned beef in favor of some lentil soup this. I've seen a few rainbows and have a pot of good soup!  I'm very  grateful that I'm not sitting in the waiting room at the big cancer hospital this year.  I pray that all those who need a little luck today, find it!



  

2 comments:

jone said...

I wear green and that's about it. don't like the food served for this holiday.

JudyK /J Koval said...

What nice memories! (I got a chuckle about how the adults "seemed happy" with the green beer....) Your stories reminded me of some St. Patrick's Day stories of my own. Thanks for the memory jog! :-) ~JudyK