Labels

Friday, March 23, 2018

#sol18 March 23 Karma

I should begin this with a disclaimer that I don't adhere to the idea that things in life happen for a "reason."  If that was the case, then why would bad things happen to innocent children and why would good people die young? However, I do have a growing respect for the concept of "karma," or destiny at least in the respect that good things happen to those who act kindly and not-so-good things happen when........

Setting: Lobby of Big University
I don't have any stickers today," he said as if paying full price for parking in mid-town Manhattan was no big deal!
"So how do I get a parking discount?" I asked politely.  
"I don't really know," he said returning to his phone and without saying the words, I think he mumbled something along the lines of I don't care. "I guess there will be stickers after spring break," he growled as if I was keeping him from his Twitter feed.  
"Can you write me a note for the parking garage?" I asked thinking that there might be a slight chance a note from the security guard might hold some clout. He didn't answer that admittedly absurd request and in fact never looked up from his phone again!  I thought of continuing the discussion and turning it into an argument that might require his boss coming to the lobby, but decided I a had Chipotle salad (with guacamole) waiting for me and work to prepare for class.  

Setting: Classroom of Big University
The salad was all I had hoped it would be and in spite of the negative energy in the lobby, most of my students were engaged in some pretty great discussions about genre, such as "What is fantasy?" and writing challenges, such as "When do grammar and spelling count?"

Setting: Lobby of Big University
Leaving the building, I noticed a gentleman in a suit talking to the grumpy security person and it sure did not look like the conversation was a happy one!  I wanted to interrupt and ask about those stickers that reduce parking costs substantially, but decided the conversation was too hot for me!

Setting: Parking Garage  
"I could not get a sticker tonight," I started, "the security person said he did not have any!"
"Silver Mazda little?" the attendant asked pretty sure he knew my car if not my name! "It's OK, we know where you were!"

Tonight, at least, there was a bit of karma for both of us!
Image result for karma


No comments: