Labels

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The week I tried to get kids to listen

I don't know about YOUR students, but MINE have had a hard time listening of late!  I wonder I some of the "antsy" listening is due to the lack of outdoor recess and play time in the cold, cold season of the year.  Yet, every winter it is cold.  So, I did some searching (researching) to stretch my thinking on the topic of listening.  I had bookmarked this Edutopia blog post by Rebecca Alber way back in the August days when kids were still on the horizon; it got me thinking about listening and how I could get students to listen.  I tried two of her recommended strategies and what a difference it made! 


Sayhttp://www.edutopia.org/blog-five-listening-strategies-rebecca-alber?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=blog-listening-list-image


 What? 5 Ways to Get Students to Listen
| Rebecca Alber



 I tried:

Say it Once:  The kids expected me to repeat myself.  Why listen?
 
Hand Signals: Yes, I added these.  What a difference

No comments: