Labels

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

#poetrymonth April is For Poetry (Edutopia share)

Here is the link to  Brett Vogelsinger's Poetry Month Kick Off Post on Edutopia
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/brisk-bright-approaches-poetry-month-brett-vogelsinger?utm_content=blog&utm_campaign=brisk-bright-national-poetry-month&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_term=second-image

I thought of my grad students as I read his post. Some of them dislike poetry, others avoid it, and still others think it must rhyme no matter how I try to convince them otherwise!  I can't say I have always been a fan; however, learned the power of poetry as I watched my struggling readers and writers embrace it back in the pre-CCS days when poetry was consistently a unit of writing study.  I now realize it is the most empowering of genres and it the one that forces readers to think and writers to be concise with their words.

I love his suggested strategies for poetry in the link above!

No comments: