Labels

Sunday, March 5, 2017

#SOL17 Day 5 Kindess at the Depot

As I wandered up and down the aisles looking for a very specific piece of hardware, my mind wandered to the possibility that a small service-oriented-I-will-get-it-for-you hardware store might still exist somewhere?

I was about ready to give up when I heard, "Can I help you?" An orange vest appeared and someone wanted to help,adding a whole new wrinkle to my dilemma and a renewed understanding of my students who struggle with academic language.  How do you ask for something when you do not know what it is that you you want?

"So, I have an old wooden storm door," I began, "and I need a hinge of some sort to secure the door does not open when it is pushed."  The words were not even out of my mouth and I knew I had not clarified my need, so I continued."See, when you are inside, you really have to fiddle with the handle to make sure it stays shut.  Right now, there is no way to lock it.   I want to put on something with a little bar to make sure it stays shut."


"I'm not quite sure what you want," he said looking as if I spoke another language.  "Maybe you could draw me a picture of what you want?  So I did and he smiled as he took me to the next aisle where there was a "top mounted door latch," just like in my mind! "How about this?"

I really was relieved, but my eyes filled with tears, as they do sometimes do when I am overwhelmed with how-to-take the next step on my new journey, one for which I did not study nor did I prepare. "Will this be hard to install," I asked my new orange-vested friend?

"I'm pretty sure we could find you a You Tube video," he smiled as he took out his I pad!  He pointed out a few critical steps in the tutorial and assured me I could do this one with a drill and a screw driver.  

On the way home to my storm door, I thought about the impact of acts of kindness and the power of those who go beyond the demands of their jobs to provide those of us who are outside our comfort zone.

So, today, I celebrate the small kindness of a random orange-vested gentleman who watched a 2 minute video with a teary customer.  He'll never need to know that my tears were not just because I was overwhelmed with installing a door latch; rather I have been overwhelmed with events in my life which I could not control and my stress-tear-thresh-hold is rather low.   Our paths are not likely to cross again, but I'm reminded of the potential of our actions and words to impact everyone we meet.


5 comments:

Michelle Haseltine said...

Oh, how I want to reach through the computer screen and give you a HUG! I get this moment, tears and all. The kindness he showed is such a gift and I'm so glad he was there for you. Hope you write a slice about installing that latch. Those moments of powerlessness are so hard, sometimes I find myself frozen in fear. I love how you were able to reach out. Happy installing, my friend!

Anonymous said...

You created a piece that will resonate with many people. Thank you for sharing your feelings, crisply painting a picture for the reader, and reminding me to watch for kindness as well as remembering to be kind. Enjoy your Sunday.



penandpaper49.wordpress.com

Linda B said...

It is hard to do what is needed without an 'expert' around. I'm sorry there is stress in other ways in your life, Anita, but love that you take time to be grateful for these "helpers" in our world. I don't know if you have an Ace Hardware, but they are my go-to people, always helping me "do" & "find" & "fix".

Miss Murphy said...

Oh gosh, I want to go find that Home Depot employee and hug him. What a difference in made in your day.

I love how real and honest this piece is - we can all feel your emotions brimming just under the surface of looking for the whatever-you-call-it.

You CAN do this. You got this.

BK said...

Anita,
What a lovely Slice. So good to hear about acts of kindness and good thing you could draw a picture. I think I'd be lost.
Bonnie