Labels

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reflecting on teaching and learning!

At Fordham, we encourage and embrace REFLECTION.  We reflect on our reading, our teaching and our learning.  So now, as I come to a bit of a fork in the road in my own teaching, the end of the semester, I am reflecting - lots. 

I've had quite the cohort of teachers for the past year.  I've been with them during the depths of miscue analysis, the challenge of struggling learners, the despair of daily writing, and the ups and downs of every day life.  In theory, I've supervised their Practicums; however, in reality I've watched them produce videos and programs that I can only envy.  They were already well on their way to becoming Highly Effective teachers when I entered their lives; however, I've watched them grow into a group of teachers who are more than ready to take their places as lifelong literacy leaders.  I've shared experiences, knowledge, and thinking; however, as all teachers know, I have gotten far more than I have given.   

At times, it's been a long year for each of us; however, on the eve of graduation (for them) and a break in the action for me, I guess the only thing left to do is to reflect on what I am taking from this experience.   
  • Effective teachers are lifelong learners.
  • Share with your colleagues as together we are strongest. 
  • Assess, differentiate, and know the kids in front of you if you hope to teach!
  • Real learning is scary, hard and uncomfortable. 
  • Scary parts of life can take you to places you cannot even begin to imagine. 
  • Everybody needs feedback.  Everybody does more when they get feedback.
  • Phonics can be fun.  Reading can take you places.  Writing can change the way you think and learn.  
  • Stress in teaching today is palpable; however, it is also the best job on earth!
  • We make a difference in everything we do every single day.
  • Teachers make mistakes. We're not perfect. 
  • Don't just follow the pack, think outside the box.
  • Embrace technology as it is the future.
  • Read every day.
  • Write every day. 
  • Each word has the potential to impact lives and the future!

No comments: