I've been thinking about this NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/10/science/panel-calls-for-broad-changes-in-science-education.html?_r=0
A few bullets from the article:
- Next Generation Science Standards were developed by 26 state governments
- States are not required to adopt them
- Evolutions and climate change must be taught
- The focus would be helping students become more intelligent science consumers
- Biology and chemistry may disappear entirely from high schools, replaced by holistic courses
I sure hope there are teachers, those who have studied and thought about teaching and learning, helping to develop these standards!