Labels

Monday, December 5, 2016

#sol16 Through Raccoon Eyes I See


Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward. - Victor Kiam"What happened to you?" my colleague asked with a pained expression when she saw me days later not realizing, of course, that I already looked much, much, much better!

"What happened to your face?" the 6 year old asked me quietly trying to be polite as she tried to discern what happened to me.

It happened quickly and without warning.  One minute, I was standing, holding multiple heavy bags on my shoulders and pulling the garbage and recycling cans to the curb!  The next minute, I was lying on the ground, not sure what had happened, and engulfed in bodily fluids!  As most of us who work with kids know, head wounds bleed A LOT!  It looked like a scene from the Godfather!

I survived
an early morning trip to the emergency room where I had to explain that there had not been a crash where the air bag deployed and there had not been a wild night of mechanical bull riding!  I endured a CAT scan to clarify that the raccoon-like look emerging around my eyes was not some kind of mascara war gone awry.  I tolerated a few stitches and some glue to close up a nice gash and was grateful for ice packs that alleviated some of the discomfort.

The reminder is that It can happen to any of us.  It can happen in the blink of an eye.  It can force us to slow down for a few days and rethink our priorities.  It can provide time to check out Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook and our Blogs!  It can allow us to create holiday decorations from the holly and pine boughs in our yard!   It made me look like a raccoon, but It could have been much worse.  As the wonderful quote I found on Facebook reminds us, "Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward!"

6 comments:

Becky Leff said...

Oh my! What an awful experience! But, you have taken it and turned it inside out to find the silver-ish lining! I hope you are feeling better.

Linda B said...

After all that, you made me laugh, Anita. The quote is one to keep forever! II am so happy that you are okay, and yes, it can happen anytime. Glad even after the care that you had some time for Pinterest, etc. just to relax. Have a better week this week!

elsie said...

At least IT left you your sense of humor. Hope your are looking and feeling much better.

Melanie Meehan said...

I'm so glad you're okay for the most part, and that you still have a sense of humor and positive outlook. IT really is easy to fall and find yourself with a whole different set of challenges and priorities. You wrote this beautifully, unfolding the conversations and the insights masterfully.

Kathleen Neagle Sokolowski said...

You poor thing!! Love how you found a silver lining!

Tara said...

Ouch! I hope you are on the mend, Anita.