Labels

Saturday, March 19, 2022

#sol22 March 19 The Hose Miracle

 

Do your remember that it was hard to find (nearly impossible) seeds, pots, hoses two years ago as we hunkered down at home thinking we would use our "at home time" to grow an incredible garden where we would nourish our hearts and tummies? 

So was the world when I bought my hose, paying an exorbitant price, or so I thought at the time, for the only available hose I could get from the Amazon or Target elves.  It seemed to be an ok hose, but really nothing special. At the end of its first season of dedicated service watering plants, I retired it to the garage. However, at the end of its second season of pandemic-imposed gardening, it would not detach from the house.  I tried everything I could find on You tube: WD40, a new wrench, PAM spray, intermittent hot and old packs.  It did not budge. I was thinking of calling a plumber, but then the freezing weather began and I figured the hose was already a gonner.  I'd wait for spring.

I was a bit hesitant to open the spigot as I walked in the warmth of an almost spring afternoon and expected water to spray out of 99 leaks in the not long ago frozen hose. To my surprise, the water went around and around just as it was supposed to do. In spite of cold, snow, ice, winds and a cracked sprayer, the hose, still attached to the house was intact. 

I am not going to plant a "Victory Garden" this year for the critters who consumed more than I did...but I guess I got a really good hose!



4 comments:

Heather Morris said...

That hose is a keeper. I love it when small things exceed expectations.

Suzanne said...

I love your ending, those dang critters! Good luck with that hose, and your garden this year!

Jackie said...

Not being able to unscrew a hose is a perennial issue. I work on my core and still unable to grasp the seamed metal to twist it loose. I solved one of these bi-annual issues by purchasing a screen / glass door that transforms without tools just a clip up or down. If only there was a solution like this for hoses. Actually, it sounds like you found one! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Potts said...

Hahaha - a miracle indeed! And I laughed even more because your garden - like mine - ended up mostly feeding the critters. Right now - tonight! - I'm wondering if I should even bother with seedlings & etc or just call it quits this year? But if I had a miracle hose... well, who knows what I might do?