Labels

Thursday, March 10, 2022

#SOL22 March 10 Follow Me Home

 


This semester, my students have diverse needs, amazing anecdotes, and many questions they save for the end of class.
"Can I talk to you/"
"What is on the Content Area test?"
"My observation was incredible/horrible/amazing....Can I tell you about it?"

So it was late when I headed out of the city, and to be honest, I was really tired. Fortunately, the snow had stopped, but the roads were dotted with patches of black, and not so black, ice.  It was not a night for speed. 

I noticed a car following behind me as a slowed to let a "weaver" sneak in front of me. 
I noticed the car was still there when I turned on my blinker and prepared to leave the highway.  
I noticed he put on his blinker and exited the highway right behind me. 
I noticed he went straight, after the stop sign, just like me.
I noticed he turned right when I turned right.
And then, I got scared.
"What if he is following me home?  I can't go home with him following me?"

So I drove right past my house and turned left, then right.
So did he.
My heart was beating pretty fast at this point and I was shaking.
"I'm being followed," I thought.
And then I turned left and he went straight. 
And I went home. 

4 comments:

arjeha said...

I can imagine this set the adrenaline rushing. It is totally unnerving to have someone follow you this way and not know why they were doing it. Glad you went your separate ways at the end.

Kristi Lonheim said...

Weird! I am sure you have all sorts of fictional endings that played out in your head that you could also write about.

Rita said...

I have been in that exact situation!
I love the repetition of the first words - I noticed - so many times we are oblivious to our surroundings.

Becky Leff said...

What a strange coincidence! I really enjoyed your retelling of this slice of your life.