Labels

Monday, March 14, 2022

#sol22 March 14 To Save the Can

 

I am participating in Two Writing Teachers 
March Slice of Life Challenge 
to find small moments and write about them

The snow was starting to accumulate when I finally wrapped up my work with students and their teachers. I should have stopped to use the restroom, but I really wanted to head home, so I grabbed a cup of left over coffee and headed to my car. I had boots and gloves, but the cold wind cut through my coat and I was shivering long before my car was clean.

The drive home was stressful as the snow was blowing and the gusts were both unpredictable and powerful. There was ice mixed with snow mixed with sleet mixed with rain attacking me from all angles and the trip home was longer than it should have been. Eventually, I turned onto my street and breathed a sigh of relief as I could not wait to use the facilities. 

With my own house in view, a huge gust picked up a garbage can and sent to flying. I had noticed the can early that morning and wondered if the neighbors were away, but now it was an UFO menacing the street. I narrowly avoided the UFO as I pulled into my driveway.  The gusts seemed to be intensifying and the can seemed to be skating around in circles. I had to make a split second decision if I was going to rescue that empty can from its gust filled dance, but I also desperately needed to use the bathroom! 

Would the wayward can cause an accident? Could I live with that responsibility?  I really had to go and the wind was intensifying so that the can was literally flying.  My heart was racing and I went with my gut.

Don't worry, I made the right decision!





4 comments:

Clare Landrigan said...

What is the right decision!! You left me hanging. I think I would go to the bathroom and then go rescue the can. I loved this slice ... I was on the edge of my seat as I read and you left me wondering. Well done (and I'm glad you made it come safely).

Saba T. said...

Such a tension-filled post. You're a great storyteller!

Trina Bartel said...

I want to know, too! What is the right decision? I also think that I would have stopped to use the bathroom before saving the can. This was a well-written little slice. You hooked me!

Maureen said...

Both possible decisions seem like the right one, here! My goodness! I really like how you build momentum, I could feel the powerful storm growing. I love how you leave us wondering.