Labels

Thursday, March 17, 2022

#sol22 March 17 I Wanted to Comment

"I cannot believe gas prices," he commented
As he filled his Suburban.
"I hear you," said another pumper
As he filled his SUV.
"I'm thinking of getting an electric car,
Just for running errands, if this continues"

I wanted to comment
But knew I would sound like a dinosaur 
Who has driven fuel efficient cars 
Since the Arab-oil-embargo of the '70s.
I wanted to share the fear of running out,
Purchasing on only odd or even days,
The need for locking gas caps.

I wanted to remind them
As they drove off in a puss of smoke,
The people, homes, innocent children
Who have perished, 
I wanted to remind them 
Of the image of strollers
Waiting in Poland.
Bombed buildings 
Where once were homes
I wanted to remind them
Our resources are not yet rationed,
Our security not yet in jeopardy,
To pray for peace.




 

3 comments:

arjeha said...

I lived through gas rationing and locked gas caps as well. At this time we need to think about what others are going through and not make this about us.

Faith59 said...

I certainly echo your feelings and love the way you embedded them in a poem. It is a time for gratitude and prayer.

Carol said...

This breaks my heart! So, so, so sad!