Labels

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

#sol22 March 30 Not a Perfect Momma

 

I think of  ou conversation whenever that old Saturday Night Skit pops up on social media.. The younger Momma strives to be "perfect" like her own mother. Her mother tries not to break the illusion while reassuring her daughter that she is doing a great job. Whenever this pops up, my mind hops way back in time to a conversation with a fellow Not-Perfect-Momma.

 "Some days, I just want to run away from all this mommy business," my friend said as we finished a brisk, much needed walk through the neighborhood. "I never would really do it, you know, but I think about it a lot.  I'm tired of thinking about laundry, meals, activities, money, work.....all of it.  Do you  ever think of running away?" 

As often happens, our children grew up in spite of our many parenting gaffes and those times we were just worn out and frustrated. 

To be honest, I thought a lot about having a launderess and a cook and I know I was not a "perfect" Momma. I graded papers during basketball, read books during baseball, and hide my eyes during football games. I got angry about messes.  Sometimes, dinner was "English muffin pizzas" and often it was "left overs." I bought cakes for bake sales and forgot permission slips. 

Yet, I have thought of that conversation as I watch Mammas navigating into car seats, encouraging healthy food, and wrestling into beds. I've thought of it as I watch children grapple for lap space, desired junk food, and coveted attention. I think of it as I read SOL posts from busy Mammas sliding in just before midnight and bed. 





1 comment:

Amy said...

I love this post. It outlines the slips, the attempts, the pushing through it all...and doesn't try to wrap it all up in a tidy bow. We march on, even though we're imperfect, but there's no other way! Thanks for making another mom feeling not alone :)