Labels

Friday, August 9, 2013

Home Again Home Again, Jiggidy Jig

As I finish writing this, I am reminded that writing is not defined by craft (in this case: dialogue); rather, writing is defined by central ideas (in this case: with hard work, all things are possible!)

"She's fallen and can't get up," was the message.
"I can't believe I fell," she said between sobs of pain.
"Let's take this one step at a time," I suggested as I dialed 911. 
"It's going to hurt a lot when we move you," noted the EMS workers. 
"I can't do this," she said.
"At her age, the odds of recovery are not in her favor," said the ER doctor.
"We'll have to wait a few days before we even operate," said another doctor. 
"It's going to hurt when we move you," noted the nurse.
"I can't do this," she said again.
"It's going to be a long, hard road back to a new normal," said the surgeon.
"I can't do this," she said again and again.
"It'll be a long time without putting weight on her leg," said the doctor.
"Do you think she can hop on one foot," the young nurse asked?
"Let's use the Hoyer lift," I responded!
"I'm not so sure the pins are holding," said the orthopedic surgeon.
"Let her try to walk, as she can tolerate the pain," said another doctor.
"I can't do this," she said again and again, and yet again.
"She can do so more than she think," said the occupational therapist.
"We're really pushing her," commented the physical therapist.
"She's amazing," said the therapy coordinator.
"She's ready to rehab at home," said the social worker.
"I guess I better get the place ready," I responded!  
"Build me a ramp, I commanded my husband.
"I can't believe I'm going home," between sobs of happiness. 

There is, indeed, a parallel to teaching and learning, here.
With differentiated teaching (differentiated rehab),
Research-based, best-practice methodology (great surgeons, therapists),
Lots of patience, persistence and caring (she can do this),
And, a never give up attitude,
All students can learn to read, write and achieve their goals,
(Just like 90+ year olds can achieve their goals!)

 
 
 
  

No comments: