Labels

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Signs and Signs With Slogans

 
When I feel stressed, or overwhelmed by events of life, I find myself praying for "signs," but not a road sign!  Instead, I look to an event or an image that answers my prayer.  On Sunday, after I finished my prayer, my cell phone produced such an "sign."  Yesterday, a sign appeared on TV no less (you'd have to see it to believe it), leaving me with thoughts about the power of signs and slogans to shape our thinking, especially during the tougher days of our lives. 

#quotesI sometimes wonder how all this fits together in the universe, but this week I am also wondering if having the right "signs" (as in signs with powerful slogans) might help (inspire) our students to keep trying even when they are thwarted academically or socially in school settings.

I started thinking about the power of sayings such as. "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets her wings." (It's a Wonderful Life)  Then I thought of "Pink sky at night, sailors' delight; pink sky in the morning, sailors' take warning."  It still pops into my head as the sky turns vibrant colors.

So, I did some Pinterest searching......for sayings that might become signs for schools.

Ben Franklin's words might help teachers out in the faculty room or perhaps right over the mailboxes where we start and end our days.

Dr.SeussThe more that you read learn go Nursery Room Handmade Vinyl Wall Decal Art Mural for Children W0101
Dr. Seuss's words could fit in any classroom and I suspect that even HS seniors would find those words comforting as they explored the demands. 

The little engine that could
This is one of my favorites, inspired by the Little Engine That Could.  I think I just might use it this year!  I might even make my own poster in the days (hours) of summer that remain! 
 


No comments: