Labels

Friday, March 15, 2019

#sol19 March 15: Amidst All That Jazz

 I had a few minutes between "schools" yesterday, so I ducked into Starbucks, ordered a green iced tea, and got to work. 

 There were people from all walks of life wearing suits, heels, scrubs, hoodies, sweats, and sandals (first 50 degree day in NYC). They were hunched over tiny tables focused on phones, laptops, and tables. 

I found myself wondering if people come here to work because so many others are working or do they come because the loud music is surprisingly calming?

The jazz of the day had a strong beat that in spite of my reservations really was conducive to drowning out the neighboring conversations as well as the baristas' drone of, "Grande..Iced latte."  I found myself thinking about how some of our students would benefit from the option to have music, perhaps surprising music, when writing. 

I'm only sure that I found a chair and got a lot of work done!


1 comment:

Ramona said...

I was surprised when I subbed that some of the 8th grade teachers let students listen to music as they worked. Maybe it was more of conducive to working than a distraction (which was what I thought).