Labels

Friday, March 22, 2019

#sol19 March 22 Leave a trail of books

"Cant' we just read together," she said in a pleading voice as I tried to help her sort words with short e and long e sounds. I've heard the plea before and as long as I'm working with children in schools, I will likely hear the plea again! While we were doing the work if the class, there was no chance for enjoyment - even for a reluctant reader who finds reading hard!

This time my mind drifted to the bags of books from a recent library book sale (sorry could not help myself) and the box or two left in my garage from a dear friend who entrusted me to distribute them well.

When I push into schools, from now on, to offer mentor-ship or PD, I think I am going to always bring a book (or a few books) with me as a reminder to me as well as to teachers that the real work of reading is the work we do within books

After a lifetime of studying literacy and trying to understand what it takes to make every child a reader, there may be no greater gift I can give than to leave a trail of books!

3 comments:

Terje said...

You will make a wonderful gift to young readers when you leave books behind.

Jaana said...

"trail of books" is what I want to leave behind as well!

Ramona said...

Love this image of you leaving a trail of books!