Labels

Friday, March 8, 2019

#sol19 March 8th:Raw Kindness for the Win


I reached in my bag to check the time, and my phone was not there. “Ugh,” I thought pretty sure I left it on the table when I grabbed my now worthless charger. Even though I was early for the 6:49, there was not enough time to walk back to my car, drive home, get my charger and make it to school on time. “Ugh,” I thought shivering in the bitter cold,” it’s going to be a long day.”

At the next stop, the train took a long time to come to a full stop.  People, who usually do not talk on early morning trains, were muttering as they finally entered, “It’s not OK to get off a moving train, but is it OK to get on a moving train?

Ugh, I thought to myself, “I hope the breaks are working,” as we sat at that station much longer than usual. “Ugh’” I thought not much later when the train came to a stop in the middle of the marshes, “I’m probably going to be late.

Finally, at the transfer station, a man using a white cane was almost to the escalator when a young man cut in front causing him to fall. The young man never looked back as he sped to his destination. “Ugh,” I thought to myself, “That is so wrong.”

At the first subway stop, a young man got off the train in order to assist an elderly woman, hunched to almost 90 degrees get her walker on the train while two riders on the crowded train gave up their seats and helped to make sure the elderly rider was comfortable and her walker was secured. “Ahh,” I sighed as I observed raw kindness and my faith in man’s kindness to man was restored. 

Ahh,” I sighed realizing that up until that moment, I had only been noticing what was wrong with my day! Raw kindness can turn a day around!

PS I got to school safely and on time after all!.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you witnessed they ahhs and not just the ughs.

Clare Landrigan said...

It is so true - we need to make choices about what we give our time and attention to. I love the idea of raw kindness. I also loved the pace of your slice - I was so worried about - telling you to go back, hoping you weren't late and then I completely slowed down when you noticed kindness. I could physically feel a difference. Well done!

Anonymous said...

You share such a great point, we usually focus on what's going wrong. It takes some mindfulness to change that automatic thinking. It definitely takes practice. I'm glad you were able to see RAW KINDNESS this morning- it's early so we can find more kindness throughout the day!

mraffinan said...

Great post! I was sucked into your story immediately with wondering how I would possibly survive without my phone for a day. Then I continued to intently read as you observed all the "ughs". I love how you turned it around at the end with the "ahh" moment.
Often I think I can have 99% positive parent interactions, then that 1% just throws me a massive wrench. I like how the 1% Raw Kindness can re-inspire, re-invigorate, re-store our faith in humanity.
Thanks!

Jaana said...

"Raw kindness can turn a day around!" It's those small things that can make all the difference!