Labels

Saturday, March 23, 2019

#sol19 March 23: Her words


"You have to get yourself things you love," my mother-in-law said to me long ago when I was still waiting for someone to buy me "things" I liked. She's been gone for more than 30 years, but her words still sting in my subconscious when I hesitate to buy things that bring me joy. 

Last weekend a the "Farmer's Market" where I buy fruits and veggies, there were rainbow tulips, tightly closed and yet suggesting the magic they might bring over the course of the week.  I hesitated, but her words stung as I debated the 1 bunch-for-seven-dollars or 2 bunches-for-ten-dollars. They certainly were not needed; yet, they spurred happy memories of my brother who loved tulips and of the rows of tulips and daffodils in my old house. 

"You should get the rainbow flowers," said a little voice who just happened to be shopping with her mommy. "You should get two," she who knows nothing about fiscally frugal shopping but everything about surrounding yourself with things your love. 

I placed two bunches in my cart and threw fiscal frugality out that morning. This busy week has been made richer and more beautiful by these rainbow tulips resting in her old vase.

It's not too much of a stretch to think that her wise words of wisdom from long ago came out of her little mouth a few days ago! 

4 comments:

Terje said...

Beautiful flowers. Wise words.

Kathleen Neagle Sokolowski said...

I love that the words of your mother in law came back to you and I LOVE that you bought two bunches. Buying myself beautiful things I love has taken time too. Last year I bought myself an Apple watch for my birthday. It felt indulgent but I wanted to say to myself that I am worth nice things and also remember to give myself the gift of TIME. Hope your tulips make you smile for a long time.

Julie said...

Sometimes nothing makes one happier than a simple bunch of flowers. I'm glad you indulged!

bonnie K said...

Such wonderful advice Anita... now that's not advice I ever need...
Bonnie