Labels

Saturday, March 9, 2019

sol19 March 9th Re.pen.zel

Can you get Repenzel? she asked.

“You want Repunzel? I asked because that is what  adults do when talking to children and they mispronounce words.  We don’t say, “It’s Repunzel not Repenzel, we just offer them the model of the traditional pronunciation. 

“It’s Repenzel,” she corrected me. Say it like this, “Re.pen.zel.

 I smiled knowing she will not always be playing with Disney princess dolls! I smiled as I handed Repenzel, to a three year old who comes from long lines of strong, independently thinking women. I smiled realizing I was not going to be writing about some of those strong women in her family tree because I had a new slice brewing. I smiled as I hoped she would always have the confidence to speak up for what she believed was right, the forum to express divergent thinking, and the courage the think creatively on this International Women's Day.



9 comments:

LynnG said...

I love it! I'm glad you're writing it down so you can remember it!

Lanny Ball said...

Oh my gosh, I love this! The way she slowed every syllable down for you...classic. I also have a three year-old who, coincidentally, received a Repenzel dress just yesterday and is upstairs sleeping in it as I write this comment. Ha! Your slice is so perfect in so many ways. Thank you for the smile!

Carol said...

Three year olds are so lovely! And you capture her so perfectly.

Jaana said...

Knowing your mind is important! Being able to tell an adult how to correctly pronounce a difficult word, that is talent! What a fun slice to read this morning.

Lisa Keeler said...

What a beautiful and sweet and also important moment you captured. I love when something is happening and suddenly I know it's going to be my slice.

Glenda Funk said...

I so wanted Re.pen.zel to be a thang! Someone needs to write that book for your strong girl!

digital bonnie said...

Ive had a similar experience watching my niece's girls grow up and demand to be heard. I love their self confidence and hope it can be sustained through the challenges of school conformity.
Bonnie

Athena said...

Fun story. I love capturing the whimsical anecdotes of life and childhood. Thanks for making me smile!

danielle said...

My four year old is constantly correcting me, incorrectly. Here's to our little ones learning through discovery rather than automatically accepting authority on its word alone.