Labels

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

#sol19 March 19 Is this safe?

I realize I am late to the Smartwatch era as people have been mentioning their step count, stair status, and text messages while looking at their watches for several years! In fact, many a day on hall duty, I'd find students banging their feet on the floor in an effort to up-their-count-before the work day began.

So when my old Timex-basic-watch stopped ticking last weekend, I was at a cross roads and had to make a decision. I am sure for $19.99 or less, I could replace my basic watch and be good for several years or I could try a Smartwatch. I considered the I Watch, Garman, Fossil and Fitbit watches and the range in price and features was a bit hard to fathom. I'm committed to swimming a lot, walking a bit more, jogging a little, and moving with purpose this year and I am hoping this might spur my movement and document my efforts.

So I made the purchase, set it up (not too bad) and now am sporting a Fitbit Charge 3.
I hope it will reward my efforts with daily data I can celebrate!
I hope I don't lose it. 
I hope it keeps it's charge for 7 days like it says.
I hope I don't take a page from my students and move my feet to trick my Fitbit!
I hope I don't tire of the data'feedback and focus on movement!
I hope it is safe - but that little blinking light next to my wrist really is a little scary!

4 comments:

Terje said...

I hope that you will find that the purchase is a success.

Megan said...

I love your title and your "fear" about safety. I'm still stuck in the past, too, and haven't quite caught on to a smartwatch yet. Hopefully you find it works for you!

Trina said...

I have had a Fitbit for several years. I really like it. A Few of my colleagues and I have friendly competitions, too! I hope that you enjoy yours!

Sometimes I miss just having a watch that does nothing but tell time though!

Ramona said...

I like mine and especially the celebratory fireworks that appear when I reach my goal. I also like that it notifies me about text messages and phone calls. And yes, it holds a charge for a long time, unlike my old one. I bet you'll love it!