Labels

Thursday, March 21, 2019

#sol19 March 21st Tip of an Iceberg

I was rejected by my first choice college, and while the rejection was some preparation for the many rejections in life, it stung.

As my niece's, nephews, and my own children were accepted and/rejected from colleges, I was older and wiser and once again I tried to understand the formula. I was sure that grades were not THE most important thing, but not sure of much else. 

I've heard celebrities and politicians talking about children attending big name schools, and I did wonder about the impact of prestige and money. But, the secretive process and the complex formula have always been cloaked in silence. 

I'm sure of only one thing.  Those wealthy individuals and their children caught in the middle of the current scandal are the only the TIP of a giant iceberg. If we are to be honest, many a politician, professor, doctor, lawyer...... many, many students have attended colleges that on paper equally qualified students were rejected.

The promise, hope, and the reward of prestige and money are likely factors along with some "give backs" and promises by those who have in their own ways, paid ahead! 

PS: I hope the current scandal opens the door to reviews and analysis of these secret admissions formula. 

PPS. Perhaps Boston College, which long ago rejected me, is trying to make restitution as they recently accepted one of my grad students into their PhD program. 

2 comments:

Ramona said...

It's tough to understand when there is so little transparency. Maybe the current situation will lead to a more open and ultimately more fair process for all.

Jaana said...

I think the whole process needs more transparency. Perhaps changes are coming.