Labels

Monday, March 18, 2019

#sol19 March 18 Tiny Homes

My mother took her 1950's housewife experience seriously and she always seemed to be in the kitchen! We were usually within a few feet of her anyway as there were just a few places to play in the "tiny home" I where I spent the first decade of my life. The 8 X 8 "open space" was the kitchen, living room, and dining room but you could only eat when the table was pulled into position in the living area! 

My parents slept in the middle bedroom that was also the walk through to the bathroom that was also the walk through to the second bedroom. 

There were Golden books, carefully chosen for their size, stacked in the bedroom where my sister and I shared a twin bed that was the width and length of the bedroom.  We read, played, dreamed, fought and slept on that bed! It seemed quite normal to us as our friends lived in similar (often smaller) homes.

google image
The 8 X 20 "trailer" was pulled behind our Ford when we moved to a new city and a new trailer home park filled with new friends and adventures.

I smile when I catch a glimpse of the new"tiny homes" knowing just a wee bit about the joys of being close in an open concept living space and the challenges of sharing a twin bed with your sister!

3 comments:

Anna Elizabeth Lemen said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. Its nice to hear about how different people were raised and what their setting was.

Ramona said...

My cousin, Carol, lived in a mobile home for part of her life. I always thought it was an adventure to visit and spend the night. Lots of happy memories came from their small kitchen. The twin bed you shared . . . did one of you sleep on each end?

Unknown said...

Just proves everything is relative and most things relate to perspective.