Labels

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

#SOL19 March 7th: Coffee and Ashes to Go


The little sign next to the train platform and the line of customers behind the sign certainly caught me off guard, but also made me smile. For busy commuters, a local church set up an "Ashes to Go" stop at the station. No need to go to a church at a specific time in your already busy day.

It was clearly not the first time the Pastor had joined the masses in the morning cold, and it was not just commuters using the convenience.  People stopped for some quick ashes before or after picking up that special morning elixir at Dunkin Donuts next door. 

I thought about religion embracing our crazy, busy world as I climbed  on the train. I thought that some churches might consider partnering with drive through coffee spots of a "Pick Up Your Ashes" because during rush hour, you always wait in line.

As a teacher, my mind also wondered about the implication for education. Perhaps schools should set up a  "Books to Go" at the local soccer field to make it easier for busy children and their siblings to find books! Perhaps libraries should offer a pick up your book drive through service?

If you want to reach your people you have to meet them where they are.

1 comment:

Ramona said...

What a novel concept! I love school libraries that open up during the summer and books to go could be used at lots of venues.