Labels

Saturday, March 7, 2020

#SOL20 March 7 Cans, Paper, Dressers

I remember my grandmother washing out cans, taking off the labels and saving them in a bin on her back porch. She was a young wife and mother struggling to make ends meet during the Great Depression and she never really changed how she lived or how she recycled. I thought it to be a strange, old fashioned thing to do;!  My mother just tossed cans in the trash in what I perceived to be the modern way!

These days, recycling has become, once again, the norm at least for bottles, cans, and paper.
Recently, where I live, we've begun mandated use of our own shopping bags. I've begun to adapt to the BYOB stage with a stack of bags from Trader Joe's and Home Goods in my car.

Yet, for me, the greatest recycling project of all happens on the first Friday of each month at the curb.  People put out their "trash" - old strollers, old dressers, old brooms - and the recycling rangers, as I call them, comb the streets for anything that might be reusable by anyone.

I know the impact of recycling cans, plastics and paper is huge. I know the impact of using our own bags is huge. I am SURE those recycling rangers who took everything but an old bed frame is huge as well. 

2 comments:

Noël said...

My grandma did the same thing! It is interesting how recycling has come back around. I am intrigued by the recycling rangers- sounds like a great way to help the planet and our fellow humans.

Pat Holloway said...

What a great, descriptive term, “recycling rangers”! My grandparents recycled things as well. I hate that we have become a throw away society. It’s often cheaper to get a new one than have the old one repaired. I try to make use of egg cartons by dropping them off with people who sell eggs. I carry bags in my car and try to use them often. But I have way too much trash, i blame it on packaging.