Labels

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

#sol20 March 10 Are Your Eyes Open?

"Are your eyes open," he asks as he not-so-gently climbs over me and slides under the covers holding tightly to the car of the morning.

"The sun is awake," he offers as he sits up to show me the not-anymore-pitch-black-horizon.

"See, Meme, it's a new day," he sings as he climbs in beside me and presses his warm-from-sleep feet into my warm-from-sleep legs.

I sigh
 I realize
He's growing at break-neck speed.
 He barely
Spoons into me these days. 
I sigh
With gratitude
 He is with me
While his floors are redone.

It was not long ago
I was rocking his tiny self to sleep
 After reading Snuggle Puppy.
It was not long ago
 He was climbing in and out of his cozy coupe.
Finding joy with Clifford in a box,  
It won't be long
Before he heads to kindergarten
It won't be long 
Before he will not want to snuggle his Meme.
I can't think about that.
I enjoy this moment. 


I'm trying to write every day in March 
Two Writing Teachers' March Challenge
This is a Slice of My Life this week


2 comments:

Glenda Funk said...

This is so tender. From the cold feet on warm legs, to “rocking his tiny self to sleep,” and all the precious memories captured in these words, I feel the love and the fear growing up brings w/ the passage of time.

Fran said...

Having a portion there but crossed out was so effective!
Great to capture this warm, warm moment in a sweet reflective poem.