Labels

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Choices

Long ago,as a "newbie" teacher , I used to get on the Beltway around Washington DC to head to school in the morning,  My class was hard and I was often overwhelmed with the responsibility of teaching the 39 first graders in my care.  I imagined staying on the Beltway - not getting off at my exit - just driving around that big circle all day long!  I never made that choice, but I vividly remember thinking about making that choice!  I'm glad that I made the choice to head into school every day...even though it was very hard some days...glad that I stayed in this profession...even though it is very hard some days..... 


We all make choices numerous times during every day of our lives.  There are big choices and little choices. Some are hard choices and others easier.  Sometimes we choose to put others first and sometimes we put ourselves first.  Some choices have positive and some have negative consequences.  Some choices impact those around us in big ways while other choices impact how we look and feel about ourselves.  Some people choose to share their joys and sorrows in a very public forum while others tend to hold their happiness and concerns closer to their heart.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the big and not so big choices we make as we go through life lately. Perhaps it is the stage of life when I realize there are big changes all around me.  Sometimes, those decisions seem so big and foreboding at the time...to take a job...to get a phone...to have a child....to get a dog....to get a car...where to live.....what to wear...who to have dinner with....yet each of theses choices, when we look back, was the right choice for us at the time.... just like when I decided to get off the Beltway in Oxen Hill each morning.  Retrospect is easier than prospect I guess! 

  

11 comments:

BK said...

I think that this is a great way to write, to look at the road you don't take. I am thinking about your Slice now Anita... :)
Bonnie

Juliann in WA said...

Choices have been on my mind a lot lately - I do think it is a time of life issue for me. I love the idea of the road and wondering what turns to take next.

Terje said...

Whatever choice we make is a right choice for us. There is no way of finding out (unless we get to a parallel universe) how making another choice would have affected us. And sometimes it doesn't matter whether you deliberately weigh the pluses and minuses or simply flip a coin. Sometimes when we figure out that we made a choice we are not happy with we have a choice to change our path.
I thought of writing a short comment, but your writing got my mind busy. Great choice of topic.
I like how you think of your past, compare the different ways people share their lives, think of the choices people make in lives, and then return to Oxen Hill.

elsie said...

There's a choice in everything we do, I've never stopped to consider that. Sometimes I feel I have no choice but really I do. Hmmm. . . food for the mind.

Jaana said...

As I was reading your blog today, I was reminded of my principal's favorite saying: "The choices you make today, shape your world tomorrow." Then I was thinking of your choice, to get off the Beltway or not. Happy for the choices you have made and how many children have benefited from those choices! You have made a difference!

Dana said...

"39 first graders" AHHHH! That's a lot of students.

My dad always says, "time takes care of everything." Even when I have to make big choices, I find that comforting. Somehow things seem to work out...

Karen said...

You are so right about each choice, large or small, making a difference. At this point of my life, looking back, I know that I made the correct decision every step of the way. I am meant to be here where I am now. Very thought-provoking post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

With change comes a lot of different choices. However, I read this amazing quote recently about change and how it pushes us and stretches us and makes us grow. So we need to embrace the change and realize that it will help us in the end!

Nanc said...

There are so many days that I want to get on the highway and just keep driving...somewhere ! I'm finding writing about those choices is important....39 first graders????that is crazy !

love nanc xo
twoyearsandfinishingstrong

Amanda Villagómez said...

This is one of those slices that I am going to print off to tape into my writer's notebook. It will be a good reminder to me, and I know that it will always be relevant in my life no matter when I end up flipping through my WN.

Seney said...

An enjoyable and thought provoking post. Retrospect and prospect, two words I will ponder for awhile...and then tuck away to look at again later.