Labels

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

#Slice of Life 2013 Promises, Promises, Promises SOL 7 of 31

On Saturday, I will attend a wedding celebrating love and the joining of two families.  For many, many, many (too many to count) years, I have seen most of my extended, spread out family only when we have gathered to "celebrate" the life of someone who is no longer with us.  On those occassions, we hear promises that there is more to this life than what we know now.

On Saturday, I'll listen to promises to love, honor, cherish. Promises to weather the storms of life and stand beside one another through thick and thin. Promises fueled by the passion of young love, the power of family gathered, the potential for family continuity.

On Saturday, I'll be thinking of promises.  I'm not always good about keeping those small and unimportant promises I make in life (like I fail to keep that exercise promise at least once a week) but I'll be reflecting on my own determined wedding promises as I sit in church and as I watch the promise family will continue, in some new blended, very Irish way that would make our ancestors proud! 

On Saturday,I'll be thinking about those I know whose journeys through marriage and family have been rocky and rough; how they kept their promises through unimaginable difficult times and through more joyous times than anyone could imagine as I hear the wonderful words and happy songs of love fill the air. 

On Saturday, I'll be thinking about those who have broken their promises causing unimaginable pain to those around them after moments of temptation turned lives upside down. 

On Saturday, I'll be thinking about the power of determination, family and love to keep those promises when the storms of life rage around us. I'll be thinking about what lies ahead for all of us as we make and honor our promises holding onto what is most important in life, the power of love to build families.

9 comments:

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

It looks as though you have a lovely weekend of old promises and new ones to celebrate and honor.

katiemsmith425 said...

Sounds like it's going to be a beautiful celebration!! Making new promises and keeping old ones.

http://katiemsmith425.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/not-again/

Nanc said...

Beautiful post, I love hearing the vows and can still easily put myself back in that moment. It hasn't always been easy, but it has been so worth it. I give thanks to God for faithfulness. xo

Anonymous said...

http://thoughtsandjots25.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/surprise-okay-not-really/ here's my post from yesterday - forgot to link!

Enjoy the wedding!

Kristen Johannes said...

This sounds like it will be a beautiful day.
http://kjohannes88.wordpress.com/

Ms. Diller said...

What a beautiful take on the many promises we make (and break) in life. I particularly enjoyed the line, "I'll be thinking about the power of determination, family and love to keep those promises when the storms of life rage around us." Promises truly are powerful.

http://sprinklesandicing.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

http://thoughtsandjots25.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/steak-its-whats-for-dinner/

Tonight's entry..

asingleton516 said...

Have a good time at the wedding!

http://polkadotsandextrafrosting.blogspot.com/2013/03/day-7-challenge-musicality.html

Lorelei said...

I really enjoyed your purposeful repetition throughout this piece. Hope you sent a link to the couple. I know they'd be honored by the post.